NCERT Class 6 History Chapter 7 Question Answers cover the book exercise in a precise and simplified way. NCERT Class 6 History Chapter 7 Question Answers are easy to understand and learn for the exams.
NCERT Class 6 History Chapter 7 Question Answers
1. Make a list of the occupations of the people who lived within the Mauryan empire.
Answer: Merchants, officials, craftspersons, farmers and herders, hunters, gatherers, etc.
2. Complete the following sentences:
(a) Officials collected taxes from the area under the direct control of the ruler.
(b) Royal princes often went to the provinces as governors.
(c) The Mauryan rulers tried to control roads and rivers which were important for transport.
(d) People in forested regions provided the Mauryan officials with elephants, timber, honey, and wax.
3. State whether true or false:
(a )Ujjain was the gateway to the northwest. False
(b) Chandragupta’s ideas were written down in the Arthashastra. False
(c) Kalinga was the ancient name of Bengal. False
(d) Most Ashokan inscriptions are in the Brahmi script. True
4. What were the problems that Ashoka wanted to solve by introducing ‘Dhamma’?
Answer: There were a number of problems in the empire that led Ashoka to introduce his ‘dhamma’.
(1) Conflicts among the people following different religions.
(2) Animal sacrifices.
(3) ill-treatment of slaves and servants by their masters.
(4) Quarrels among civilians.
5. What were the means adopted by Ashoka to spread the message of ‘Dhamma’?
(1) Ashoka appointed Dhamma Mahamatta who went from place to place teaching people about Dhamma.
(2) He got his messages inscribed on rocks and pillars. Dhamma Mahamatta read these messages to those who could not read them.
(3)Ashoka also sent messengers to spread ideas about dhamma to other lands, such as Syria, Egypt, Greece, and Sri Lanka.
6. Why do you think slaves and servants were ill-treated? Do you think the orders of the emperor would have improved their condition? Give reasons for your answer.
Answer: Slaves and servants were ill-treated because their masters felt superior to them. The masters treated them like animals. It was because of the old Varna system.
The emperor’s orders might have helped to some extent. Ashoka was a king who was loved by his subjects.
7. Write a short paragraph explaining to Roshan why the lions are shown on our currency notes. List at least one other object on which you see them.
Answer: The lions are part of the Lion Capital in Sarnath. These lions are shown on our currency notes in honor of one of the greatest kings of India, Ashoka, who built the Capital. The lion was recognized as the national animal, so the notes also showed the Lion Capital.
Another object which has the lions shown are the coins of our currency.
8. Suppose you had the power to inscribe your orders, what four commands would you like to issue?
Answer: If I had the power to inscribe my orders then I would like to solve the issues:
(1) Caste system
(2) Conflicts among people on the basis of religions
(3) Discrimination based on gender, caste, creed, etc.