NCERT Class 6 History Chapter 1 Question Answers from the chapter “What, Where, How and When?”. NCERT Class 6 History Chapter 1 Question Answers include extra questions and cover all the important topics.
NCERT Class 6 History Chapter 1 Question Answers
1. Match the following:
Narmada Valley → Hunting and gathering
Magadha → The first big kingdom
Garo hills → Early agriculture
Indus and its tributaries → The first cities
Ganga Valley → Cities about 2500 years ago
2. List one major difference between manuscripts and inscriptions.
Manuscripts are handwritten text on palm leaves or the bark of a birch tree.
Inscriptions are engraved on a hard surface like stones or metal.
3. How can we know what happened long ago in the past?
Answer: One can know what happened long ago through these ways:
(3) Old objects excavated from the ground
4. Make a list of all the objects that archaeologists may find. Which of these could be made of stone?
– Bones of the animals
– Remains of grains and cereals
– Pots and pans
– Weapons & tools
– Manuscripts and inscriptions
– Old building remains etc.
5. Why do you think ordinary men and women did not generally keep records of what they did?
Answer: Ordinary people did not keep the record because:
> They did not feel the need for the recording.
> They did not realize the importance of such records.
> They did not have proper writing methods.
6. Describe at least two ways in which you think the lives of kings would have been different from those of farmers.
(1) The kings set up kingdoms and fought battles whereas the farmers did agricultural activities.
(2) The kings kept records of their battles and their victories whereas the farmers did not keep records of what they did.
7. List at least five different crafts that you know about today.
Are the crafts persons — (a) men (b) women (c) both men and women?
Five Different crafts:
– Jewelry Making
Both men and women do the crafts work.
8. What were the subjects on which books were written in the past? Which of these would you like to read?
Answer: Ancient books covered subjects like:
– Religious beliefs and practices
– Lives of kings
– Epics (Ramayana, Mahabharata)
We would like to read the epics like the Ramayana, the Mahabharata, the Upanishads, etc.