NCERT Class 6 Geography Chapter 6 Question Answers include all the exercise questions in a simplified and precise way. NCERT Class 6 Geography Chapter 6 Question Answers are easy to understand and learn for the exams.
#Major Landforms of the Earth
NCERT Class 6 Geography Chapter 6 Question Answers
1. Answer the following questions briefly.
(a) What are the major landforms?
Answer: Mountains, plateaus, and plains.
(b) What is the difference between a mountain and a plateau?
Answer: A mountain may have a small summit and a broad base.
Example: The Himalayan mountains.
A plateau is a stretch of flat land raised above the surrounding area.
Example: The Deccan plateau.
(c) What are the different types of mountains?
(1) Fold mountains
(2) Block mountains
(3) Volcanic mountains
(d) How are mountains useful to man?
(1) Mountains are storehouses of water.
(2) Mountains have a rich variety of flora and fauna.
(3) Mountains provide fruits, herbs, and many other products.
(4) Mountains provide a beautiful site for tourists.
(5) Mountains provide sites for adventure sports.
(6) Reservoirs are made and the water is utilized for the use of people. Water is used for irrigation and the generation of hydroelectricity.
(e) How are plains formed?
Answer: Plains are generally formed by rivers and their tributaries. The rivers flow down the slopes of mountains and erode them. They carry forward the eroded material. Then they deposit their load consisting of stones, sand, and silt along with their courses and in their valleys. It is from these deposits that plains are formed.
(f) Why are the river plains thickly populated?
Answer: The river plains are very suitable for human habitation.
(1) Easy to construct houses.
(2) Easy to set up factories and industries.
(3) Moderate climate
(4) Land is very fertile and it is very good for cultivation.
(g) Why are mountains thinly populated?
Answer: Life is very difficult in mountain areas because of
(1) Harsh climate
(2) Difficult to grow crops.
(3) Difficult to build houses or roads on a mountain.
Tick the correct answers.
(a) The mountains differ from the hills in terms of
(b) Glaciers are found in
(i) the mountains
(ii) the plains
(iii) the plateaus
(c) The Deccan Plateau is located in
(d) The river Yangtze flows in
(i) South America
(e) An important mountain range in Europe is
(i) the Andes
(ii) the Alps
(iii) the Rockies
Fill in the blanks.
(1) A plain is an unbroken flat or a low-level land.
(2) The Himalayas and the Alps are examples of young fold types of mountains.
(3) Plateau areas are rich in mineral deposits.
(4) The range is a line of mountains.
(5) The plain areas are the most productive for farming.